Thursday, June 7, 2007

stars of the lid



this album is amazing. i have to admit, my repetitave plays may have something to do with my newly acquired turntable, and the fact that "their refinement of the decline" is my first real own-purchased album on vinyl. But i think circumstances have only fueled flame to fire. i love this album and will, without a doubt, be listening to it in 10 years.

the things i always always come away with, after listening, is that everything here is so understated, so brilliant, but so undefined. i don't think there is better use of subtelty in music anywhere. there are horns, strings, and all kinds of instruments used here, hired, composed, and planned- but none for show, all for texture. listening to this is like being slowly and gently dipped into a pool of sonic righteousness.

2 comments:

Daniel said...

I found your new blog through a link. Based on this post I looked up and then bought their album "Tired Sounds of...."

I've now listened to it for almost 24 hours and can't get enough.

thanks!

this little sonic iceberg said...

i'm glad my recommendation held up! "the tired sounds..." is also amazing.