Thursday, June 7, 2007

lexington loves



so yesterday i was biking around lexington doing various things, including record shopping, where i picked up a couple godspeed records on vinyl to make sure my tiny collection gets off to a good start.
and anyway, i started seeing people all over town standing on street corners holding signs that read "FREE HUGS". at one point, i had to wait for a crosswalk light next to a person holding one such sign. i asked her why she was doing that and she said "love. do you want a hug?" i embarrassedly said "ok" and after our little shuffle said "okay, now really, what are you all doing this for?". she said "for love." i smiled as i biked away. no affiliation, no ulterior motivation, just a hug. whoa. it made me think highly of lexington, and better about humans for awhile.

6 comments:

amy said...

and then there was an effin' hailstorm. a hailstorm all over those effin' hippies.

Anonymous said...

If you come to Nashville, you can have two hugs.

Joel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joel said...

i want a hug too.

Jordan said...

Hey Kev, can I have a hug when I visit you next year? That would be fantastic. (Nobody hugs in South Korea; 'tis a cultural thing.) Nice blog, I'll be checking in frequently.

The Ubran Poetess said...

I have seen this phenomenon pop up in downtown SF and Seattle. I love it.