Thursday, March 13, 2008

Best of 2007: My top 25

Alright, it's mid March and everybody's probably already seen enough Best Of 07 lists to solidify their opinions on the universal "bests". Truthfully, i've been working so long on digesting the albums i missed of last year that every time i've sat down to make up my list it seems i'm discovering another band and changing my mind again. For what i thought was a really slow year for music, there turned out to be a surprising amount of memorable albums. I tried to do it in 20, but just couldn't. Here are my top 25, in no particular order:


Battles - Mirrored
Autistici - Volume Objects
Burial - Untrue.
Kiln - Dusker
Morgan Packard - Airships Fill the Sky
Klimek - Dedications
Stars of the Lid - And Their Refinement of the Decline
Apparat - walls
Múm - Go, Go Smear the Poison Ivy
Do Make Say Think - You, You're a History In Rust
Helios - Ayres
Growing -Vision Swim
Northern - Drawn
Holler, Wild Rose! - Our Little Hymnal
Sawako - Madaromi
M.I.A. - Kala
the Octopus Project - Hello, Avalanche
Troubles - Sen'taur
Giuseppe Ielasi - August (possibly best album cover)
Grails - Buring Off Impurities
Kammerflimmer Kollektief - Jinx
World's End Girlfriend - Hurtbreak Wonderland
the Besnard Lakes - the Besnard Lakes Are the Dark Horse
Epic45 - May Your Heart Be the Map
Logh - North

2 comments:

Jesse Woodcock said...

I, too, really love that Logh album. The production on that record feels like it will snap your neck like an icicle. I own a few of the other ones on the list as well, even though they didn't sneak into my top-20. Thanks for pointing me toward Sawako and Helios! I will be purchasing them immediately.

this little sonic iceberg said...

make sure you purchase eingya. that helios album melts me. ayres is really good too, but eingya is really the masterpiece. i only discovered it this year, though it's from 2006.